Monday, July 04, 2005

Lost in Translation


Hidden, originally uploaded by Itineranting.

I once saw a film, which, in its English (and international) translation was called Cloud Capped Star.
In its original language, the director, Ritwik Ghatak, called it "
Meghe Dhaka Tara".
Only people familiar with the regional language will be privy to the simplicity & beauty of the original title and its relevance to the film.
I have always loved language, vernacular or otherwise, enthralled by the artistry of words. And there comes a point in time ever so frequently, when I am reminded of the true essence of the phrase - lost in translation.

6 Comments:

Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Itinerant, I replied on my blog, but just in case you don't pass by any time soon ...

Pink Floyd's 'Obscured by Clouds' ... how's that for a free translation? Also love 'A Delicate Sound of Thunder'

Floyd and Tull ... great lines there.

J.A.P.

7/06/2005 10:09 AM  
Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

You know what is REALLY lost in translation?

1 - Neka
2 - Obhimaan (the Bangla concept, not the Hindi 'abhimaan')

J.A.P.

7/06/2005 10:10 AM  
Blogger Heh Heh said...

hmm.. i think the only way out is to learn the language and immerse oneself in the culture. And then it's fun to play games with linguistic identities.

7/06/2005 5:33 PM  
Blogger sameer said...

hi Itinerant, another nice picture. did you take it? i'm afraid i don't know bengali so this one is lost on me. but i think of things being lost in translation... my favourite author writes in japanese (haruki murakami) and i wish i could learn japanese but... ps- i am fine. thanks for checking.

7/07/2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger Itineranting said...

JAP - those 2 words flitted by as I wrote the post..you took the words right out of my mind!

FG - So much to traverse..too short a lifetime..best to start yesterday, I guess.

K, yep, I clicked it. But ofcourse you love Murakami! Its such a part of you now..

7/07/2005 6:40 PM  
Blogger Itineranting said...

Welcome J, have seen the movie & you're right, it does capture the essence of it so well!

7/27/2005 3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home